December 9, 2023

A gunman killed one person before being shot dead by police Friday afternoon at a New Hampshire psychiatric hospital, authorities said.

New Hampshire State Police Colonel Mark Hall told reporters at a briefing Friday evening that law enforcement received a call at 3:38 p.m. regarding an active shooter at New Hampshire Hospital in Concord. State police originally reported on X, formerly Twitter, just after 4 p.m. that there were multiple victims in the shooting.

Officials with New Hampshire’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) also posted on X at about 4:05 p.m. EST that their office was “aware of the situation unfolding at the New Hampshire Hospital.” About a half an hour later, HSEM posted that the situation had been “contained.”

“The scene remains active. The suspect is deceased,” the update reads.

New Hampshire Hospital Shooting
Police tape is seen in Washington, D.C., on February 14, 2022. A gunman Friday killed one person before being shot dead by police at a psychiatric hospital in Concord, New Hampshire, authorities said.

According to Hall, the gunman was shot dead by a state trooper assigned to the hospital. Police also said that the incident was contained to the lobby of the medical center.

Hall also said that the gunman’s victim “was administered CPR on site and transported to the Concord Hospital.”

“Unfortunately, that individual is now deceased,” Hall added during the briefing. “We are working to notify the family and will release more information at that time.”

Police are working to determine the identity of the shooter, and Hall said that investigators with the State Police Bomb Squad were looking into a “suspicious vehicle” that was spotted on the hospital campus.

At the time of publication, it was unclear how many shots were fired before the gunman was killed by responding law enforcement or how many witnesses were in the lobby at the time the shooter entered the hospital.

In an update just before 5:30 p.m. EST, New Hampshire’s HSEM wrote on X that the shooting had been contained to the hospital’s front lobby and that there was no further threat to the public at this time.

“All patients are safe and there is no active threat to the public,” officials added in the update. “The scene remains active while authorities investigate a suspicious vehicle. Please avoid the area at this time.”

The HSEM’s public information office told Newsweek via email that additional updates about the situation would be shared to social media.

According to the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the New Hampshire Hospital is the state’s premier psychiatric hospital. CBS News affiliate WBZ reported that the 185-bed facility has its own uniformed security force and that visitors are required to pass through metal detectors before entering.

DHHS Commissioner Lori Weaver told reporters Friday evening that officials had established a call center for families wishing to reach out to loved ones who may have been impacted by the shooting. A number for the center will be released shortly.

“We will notify families as soon as visitations can resume,” Weaver added. “This is a difficult and unimaginable day for our employees and for our community. We will continue to make resources available in the coming hours and days.”

New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu also confirmed in a statement shared with ABC News affiliate WMUR that the suspect in the shooting was deceased and that the situation was “contained.”

“While the scene remains active as the campus is cleared, the suspect is deceased,” the governor’s statement to WMUR read. “The state immediately mobilized, and first responders and law enforcement are on the scene. We will provide as many details as possible as this situation unfolds.”

New Hampshire Senators Maggie Hassan and Jeanne Shaheen said that they were monitoring the situation closely, with Hassan writing in an X post that she was “grateful for the work of law enforcement and praying for those impacted by the shooting.”

“Im horrified by reports of a shooting at NH Hospital in Concord,” Shaheen wrote in a separate post. “My heart goes out to all those impacted by this senseless violence. I’m closely monitoring the situation”

Update 11/17/23, 6:45 p.m. ET: This article has been updated with additional information and background.